Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mother of the Year?

I think I lost the "Mother of the Year" award already, and the year has just gotten started.  Tonight my older babe made dinner for us, breakfast for supper, and made pancakes and scrambled eggs.  She did it all by herself.  The little babe enjoyed her first tasting of eggs and I enjoyed not having to make dinner.  My late afternoon nap put me in a foul mood, so it was better that she took the lead for dinner.  Or else we may not have eaten at all.

So after all was cleaned up we listened to her practice her flute - she is quite good, if I do say so myself - we headed up for baths, showers and bedtime.  My older babe made a cup of hot chocolate while we reviewed her math homework and then while we sat together on the couch, I promptly fell asleep while she read.  The next thing I knew it was 90 minutes later, the girls were asleep and I was amazed at how the evening had turned out.  I had big plans to catch up on paperwork, bills, and to call my mother.

I feel awful that I fell asleep on my older babe.  I'm also ashamed to admit that it isn't the first time.  Tomorrow I will apologize profusely and then try to make it up to her.  How, I don't know.  Do you think she'll be scarred for life?

I had lunch with a friend today and really enjoyed our visit.  During our chat I realized that she has had experiences with her kids that are similar to the experiences I have had with mine and this made me feel like I wasn't a horrible mother.  I realized that I am normal and my girls are too.  You wouldn't believe how much comfort this brought me!  My friend, who raises a few chickens, made a comment about her daughters and play dates and how they were important...I realized that our lunch was a grownup play date and it is important for moms to have play dates too.  Life is too short to work all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment